Monday, June 16, 2008

How to Enjoy Sonic - America's Drive-In

I really enjoy going to Sonic. I think they have the best fast-food burgers, excellent onion rings, and a great variety of drinks (good shakes, too)! However, at times a family outing to Sonic can be a bit of a chore, so I thought I might offer up some tips to getting the most out of your dining experience.
  1. If possible, don't go with children. Children are a gift from the Lord, but the best way to enjoy Sonic is to go with your spouse, order your food, and just sit in the car and talk to each other while the '50s music plays over the speakers.
  2. If it's baking hot outside, eat in the car, especially if you've ignored number 1. There's no way you'll enjoy the experience if you've had to unload cranky children out into the heat.
  3. Go with what you know. I am one who is more than willing to try new things when I'm at a restaurant, but at Sonic, I stick with the burgers. I don't see any need to try the chicken, and I'm certainly not interested in a Sonic burrito. I have to be in the mood for a chili dog, but I will occasionally go with that. If I want to be sure I'm satisfied, though, it's a cheeseburger, onion rings, and a Diet Coke®.
  4. Don't stress about tipping. My rule for tipping at Sonic is that the waiters or waitresses on roller skates get a tip. They're putting in extra effort, and they're providing entertainment as part of the experience. Walking out with the food is part of the job, as I see it. Rolling out with the food is cah-ray-zy!
So, that's it. If you stick with these simple rules, you should have no problem enjoying your meal. If you follow these rules and still don't have a good time, you can comment here and I'll give you a full refund of the price of this advice.

4 comments:

Angela said...

Well, unfortunately for us, it's one of the girls' favorite fast food restaurants. So it's always their first pick. Where else can a 5 year old corn dog fanatic get...well, a corn dog? So we always go with children. Thusly, it would probably be my LAST pick of places to go with just Ren. But to each his own.

You're right on the money (pun intended) about the tipping. I actually looked it up (thanks to Google), and it is actually proper etiquette to tip the roller skaters/bladers, and not necessarily the other car hops. I use to stress over that dilemma.

One last thing, I have to disagree with you about the onion rings. I love onion rings, and to me Sonic's are too sweet. They taste like onions fried in funnel cake batter. Too sugary. I try salting them, and then it just tastes like a salty, oniony, funnel cake thing. Not my bag.

Davis said...

Mmmm... salty, oniony, funnel cake thing... ohhh, yeah.

Lynley said...

We are frequent visitors to Sonic, primarily for their diet cherry limeades. Mmmmmmmmmm. It's a beautiful thing.

The car hops in Columbus don't skate (or hop, for that matter). They saunter around like they'd rather be doing anything but delivering us some diet cherry limeades (for which we always have exact change....so no tip for them anyway).

Hugs and kisses to you all!

Amy said...

Mmmm...cherry limeade....my favorite!
Our family is fond of the 1/2 price drinks during happy hour (2-4 pm) everyday. Brendan must have the peach sweet tea, and one of us always ends up with a peanutbutter banana milkshake.
For all of you iced coffee lovers, I must now recommend the Iced Lattes. Too yummy.
Hmmmm...I have a strange craving for Sonic.