Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Belly buttons, teeth and babies

"Belly Button (Round)"
by Sandra Boynton

So round. So profound. So great to contemplate ...
Belly Belly Button,
you're oh so fine.
I'm so happy you're mine.
A tummy without you
just wouldn't be right.
Little Belly Button,
you're a beautiful sight.
Belly! Belly button!

Since our sweet girl was a wee lass she has had a fondness for her belly button. Instead of owning a lovey or sucking her thumb, she rubs her belly button. I had never seen such a thing, but our pediatrician has a daughter who did it (she has probably since grown out of it) but it has never bothered me so I have never discouraged it. In fact, it's kind of nice because she can't lose her belly button, and she never complains when we wash it so why not have an attachment with your belly button. Now, as she has gotten older we have had to lay down some rules about the belly button rubbing. She is not to rub it when she has a dress on (i.e. no lifting up your dress to get to it). When we are in public she must "discreetly" rub it, which means that she must leave her shirt down, but she may rub it underneath her shirt. Nonetheless, her love for her belly button has persisted. Either she will grow out of it at some point or she will find a husband that loves her belly button as much as she does.
Our boy, Daniel, has lost his second tooth. It's right next to where he lost his very first tooth. He pushed it out himself during rest time and I can't tell you how excited he was when I went in to the room to let him get up a few minutes early. He held the tiny white tooth up to me and said, "See!" I said, "What is it?" and then he pulled his bottom lip down so that I could see the empty space. Two down eighteen more to go!
In baby news, I had a doctor's appointment this morning. It was just a routine check-up and everything looks and sounds good. We have our next ultrasound scheduled on September 8th. We plan to find out the sex of the baby. We already know what we will name the baby if it is a girl, but we have no boy names picked out at this point. We are also planning to take along Daniel and Maggie to the ultrasound. I'm looking forward to it.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Mommy said...

So sweet that Maggie rubs her belly button. You know Cooper used to rub my belly & then we had to switch it to my elbow.
Michelle

Stephanie said...

I think it's cute Maggie rubs her belly button! I've never seen her do it so she hides it well. :) Glad your appt went well, can't wait to find out what the sex of the baby is!!