Sunday, December 14, 2008

Favorite Christmas Books

Every year when we bring the Christmas decorations down from the attic, there is a box of Christmas books that comes down as well. My favorite, without a doubt, is A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. I always read it first to make sure I've got enough time to finish before Christmas. It may be a little unadventurous of me, I suppose, to pick a universally acknowledged classic as my favorite, but I can't help that. It's a great story, and I love recognizing the parts that don't make it into the movies. Of these, my favorite is the line at the end that "he had no further intercourse with Spirits, but lived upon the Total Abstinence Principle, ever afterwards;" that one always gives me a chuckle. There are some other great Christmas books that I enjoy as well. Next on the "gotta-read-it" list is a relatively recent addition by Dave Barry entitled The Shepherd, the Angel, and Walter the Christmas Miracle Dog. This is a short but excellent story that may really have happened to Dave as a boy. I base this on the fact that it's extremely similar to a humor article he wrote back in the '80s about his own boyhood. The only other book that I absolutely try to get in is The Autobiography of Santa Claus as told to Jeff Guinn, mostly because of the clever way in which it's written, and all of the fascinating little-known facts about the history / mythology of Santa Claus. Very well done. So that's it. I just thought I'd share that, and also pose the question: "Do you have a favorite Christmas story?"

1 comment:

Angie said...

Every year I re-read "The Christmas Box" by Richard Paul Evans. I started reading it yearly before Daniel was even born so this may be my 8th or 9th reading of it this year.