Monday, December 22, 2008

Ghost of Christmas Past

This weekend we pulled out some home movies from the past few years and watched the excitement unfolding on a few different Christmas days for Daniel and Maggie in their slightly younger years. I tend to be hesitant to watch home movies, largely because it can make me feel nostalgic for the days when we were all a little younger. My main problem with nostalgia is that I can become depressed, feeling like my best days are behind me. This is why I never look at any old yearbooks, and why I tend to shy away from investing in many rediscovered old friendships on Facebook. I don't want to reminisce about the good ol' days because, in my mind, that implies that the new days won't be as good.

Having said that, I actually thoroughly enjoyed the Christmas home movies that we watched this weekend. Seeing the joy and wonder on the faces of the kids as they took in all that was happening on Christmas morning was an absolute joy. I think part of the reason I was able to enjoy it this time was because I know it gets better from here. Daniel and Maggie are old enough now to get excited about Christmas well before it arrives, so their enthusiasm and appreciation continues to reach new levels. And, if I long for the cute sweetness of a new baby just discovering Christmas, we've got one due to arrive in late January that will get to experience all of this next year for the first time. And so, for the first time, these shadows of things that have been brought me only happiness, relishing memories of good times past, and eagerly anticipating those to come.

No comments: