Wednesday, May 28, 2008

I Really Do Like Being Employed

This week our company is doing our annual employee reviews. We've been asked to think about a few questions in preparation for our time in the hot seat. Number One on the list is "Why are you here?" Now, once I'd moved past my inclination to always give the most smart-aleck answer possible ("it's my annual review, and I was told I had to be here"), the question really did get me thinking.

The problem with the annual review being this time of year is that, every year at about this time, I start to get kind of burned out on my job. Part of it, I think, may be that the workload does slow somewhat when summer starts, and part of it may be akin to spring fever. Whatever the reason, it oftentimes happens in May that I would gladly do any job in the world that doesn't require the use of a computer (hence the dramatic decrease in May blog posts, incidentally). I'd rather be outside, or at least in an office with a window, or at a job where I can leave at 5 and go play with my kids. I long for a real two-week vacation that doesn't result in a panic attack from not having earned enough this month.

The thing is, it's just the time of year. For pretty much the other 11 months I'm completely in love with my job. I get to work with some great guys who are actually my friends. I get to help solve problems for my clients so that they can do the important jobs that they do. I even get to drive around town during the day to visit clients on occasion. And, I'm paid very well (by my standards, anyway) to do it. It really is a great job, and most of the time, I love it.

Just not at review time, for some reason.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Plus, you have to deal with those two A-hole bosses...

;)