Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Daniel Update 2

So, the iPhone battery died before I could get the update published. It is now just past 8:30. Since 7pm, Daniel has had his chest X-ray, another xopenx mixture, and they've given him another fluid drip. His blood oxygen levels are on the borderline of where they give him oxygen or not, so they're trying not to. If he dips below the border again, they'll probably give him some. Not sure what the reasoning behind giving or not giving it might be. Angie, Maggie, and Joshua came by again just before 8 to bring me a change of clothes and my iPhone charger. Maggie was broken-hearted that the whole family wouldn't be together at night. Daniel consoled her with tales of his wheelchair ride to wear a lead apron for his X-ray. This helped a little. The worst part for Daniel is that they put the IV in his right hand, and they instructed him to do his best not to wiggle it, so he can't even play his Nintendo DS. This is really the worst part of the whole affair. However, as he says, "as long as we're not here for 4 or 5 or 6 days, it's not too bad. Also, I got to wear a mask! (a breathing treatment mask) Plus, they brought me my own food and I got to request a movie. Also, I got to ride in a wheelchair! And I also have my own hospital bed, my own room, and my own TV with my own remote!" So, all in all, it's not too bad.

3 comments:

Angie said...

What a brave boy! I was so impressed how great he was trying to cheer up Maggie. We miss you guys already, but we're praying you'll be home tomorrow night. Don't stay up too late chatting even if it feels like a slumber party. I love you!

Annie Lewis said...

We are thinking about you guys. What a great kid looking on the bright side and even trying to make his sister feel better. We are home all day tomorrow so if you need anything let me know.

Anonymous said...

Aw poor Daniel! They will probably change out his IV soon unless he's a really hard stick and you can request another site. Nurses cant expect a young boy not to be able to play his DS! Thats just wrong. They wont wanna put the o2 on unless they have to. For one thing, its uncomfortable. No one likes having prongs in their nose. Also, they want him to try to keep his o2 sat up on his own with room air, if he can. Message me on facebook or text me 770 296 9477 if you have any nursing related questions. I hope he feels better very soon! =) ~Ashley