Thursday, April 10, 2008

Definition of Accomplishment

I was reading through this post by my friend, Robby, regarding the experiences of his life vs. having a sense of accomplishment. I thought it might be interesting (to me) to highlight some of the more bizarre events of my life. I won't try to come up with twenty-one things (seriously, man, 21? How'm I supposed to compete with that?), but let's see what I can come up with off the top of my head. So, following his format...

I've sung onstage at Carnegie Hall,
I've kissed the Blarney Stone,
I've eaten Fried Chicken in 18 of our United States,
I've seen the Grand Canyon, Mt. Rushmore, and Old Faithful,
I've seen snow on the ground in July,
I've been a featured guest musician onstage with a singer who went on to win a grammy for singing with Bon Jovi,
I've met and done work for members and the office of my favorite band growing up,
I've played bass and sang backup on three CDs,
I've loved and lost,
I've also loved and won...

This isn't the exhaustive list I had planned, but it might be enough to spark a conversation. As to what I've accomplished, there are a few things I think worth mentioning, and I hope that they'll inspire my friend, if he reads this...

I've been a member of a band that helped reunite at least one person with her Savior,
I've helped to invite God into a room full of people who might not know him,
I've taught children that Jesus loves them while Tony taught their parents the same thing.

I think that will do for now.

3 comments:

Tanya G said...

When were you a guest musician?

Davis said...

At some point during the Soul Miner's Daughter days, they got various members of local bands (I think there were maybe 5 of us) to sing or play with them on R.E.M.'s "It's the End of the World As We Know It (and I Feel Fine)" as their final encore song for the night. Mostly we just provided harmonies for the chorus, but it was a great opportunity for me to stand on-stage and rock out with Wes Lupold in a way we hadn't been able to do since the dissolution of Kato. And, I suppose, it was a little free publicity for us lesser bands from a very popular band at the time, as well as a way for them to try and get in good with the local scenesters, since their style (blues-based rock) was so radically different from the townie norm (largely chaotic noise). Just a guess.

Unknown said...

Hey Davis! I actually stumbled on this post from Google(!) when I was (believe it or not) searching for some of the lyrics to an old Kato song that I know. How odd is that?

How have you been man? We should really catch up - how about an email?

(the song - I don't know what your name for it is/was - started out with something like "Hoping that it's not another one - I could use some rest / I've been trying but it's getting old / Hard to fight, but I guess it's always been this way).. I couldn't remember what comes after that.