Saturday, April 12, 2008

Murphy-Proofing

Dave Ramsey often talks about how, while you're in debt trying to get out, it seems like Murphy (of Murphy's Law fame) moves in. Vehicles will break, various family members will get sick, chandeliers and large sections of plaster will come crashing down from the ceiling onto the good china, etc. Fortunately, we've managed to confine our woes to the first couple of categories... so far.

The good news, reportedly, is that once you're out of debt and you've got an "emergency fund" well-established, Murphy tends to move out. I think that's one of the parts of being debt-free that I'm most looking forward to. I know it's not a guarantee, but even if he hangs around for a while, when we have a fully-funded emergency fund, I just don't think his petty little annoyances will push my buttons quite so much. All that to say,

"Pack your bags, Murph; we're kicking you to the curb!"

No comments: