Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Monday Mornings

If I were to be generous with myself, I would say that I devote Monday mornings to updating myself on the latest trends and news in technology. It's important, as one who works in technology for a living, to keep current on emerging gadgets and gizmos, as well as to get a feel for where things are headed within the industry. But really, that's not why I do it.

In truth, it's just hard for me to get going on Mondays, and it's much easier to read a bunch of articles than it is to jump into my work assignments for the day. I usually don't really get started until either 1) after lunch, or 2) a client calls needing my help. I always think that I'll get a good start; in the car on the way to work, I sometimes think through all the stuff I need to get done that day or week and try to map out a plan for the day. When I arrive at work, however, emails and news articles await, and my grand plan gets shifted until after lunch, unless a client calls, at which point the plan is usually thrown into the garbage altogether. (I would say "thrown out the window," but, you know, us techies tend to be confined to windowless basements, so garbage it is.) Oh well. I don't really know if I want to give up catching up on the latest news, but I probably do need to get more organized about my day.

Or rather, my days, since now that I've thought all this out and typed it up, my Tuesday is running behind. Later!

No comments: