Tuesday, July 07, 2009

What are YOU crying about?

Over the past 5 months, I've re-discovered something that I really thought I'd learned before: babies cry a lot... about anything and everything. In fact, there are times when our particular baby cries for seemingly no reason whatsoever. He'll be well-fed, burped, clean of diaper, and laying in his crib, and he'll just be crying his heart out. Seriously, kid, what have you got to cry about? Huh? I mean, you never have to worry about what clothes to wear, you have no bills to pay, loved ones are always cooing over you, always eager to give you hugs or entertain you, and on top of all that, your favorite meal is available whenever and wherever you ask for it! Who could want a better life?

Still, he cries. However, tonight, I re-discovered something else. If all their needs are met - they've eaten recently, been through their bedtime routine (as much as possible), been placed lovingly into their crib - if all is right with the world... they will still cry. A lot. But eventually, if you leave them alone and don't bother them, they will go to sleep. Sometimes it's a matter of minutes, sometimes more, but they will drift off at last, and when they do, they are powerfully, powerfully cute. At least mine is. And that's all I really wanted to say.

2 comments:

Angela said...

Ahh yes. There's nothing cuter than a sleeping baby/child. I wholeheartedly agree. I never love them more than when they are silent and in a near comatose-like state. And as far as having to just let them cry it out sometimes...Amen and Amen.

Mommy said...

Or if you have a baby like Cooper was he'll cry for hours or until he pukes his brains out (for several years). I don't subscribe to the idea that all babies eventually go to sleep since meeting my son. Most do, but he doesn't. I'm glad you have one that will. He sure is a cutie.